An affiliate is the middleman between online consumers and merchants’ products. An affiliate makes money when a visitor that they referred through an affiliate link purchases or performs the action required of the affiliate program on the merchant’s site.
With affiliate marketing strategies, you don’t have to worry about developing ideas and creating products. As a result, you don’t have to deal with customer service, follow-ups or continually create more products for the marketplace.
Affiliate Marketing Strategies – Getting Started
To start working as an affiliate, you usually need your own website since you will need a place to advertise the products that you are promoting so that visitors can click on your affiliate links that then take them to the merchant’s website. However there are some options that don’t require you to to have a website.
Promote only high quality products that you believe in to your customers. If the reader learns that they can trust you, they will be more likely to take your advice on purchasing new products that they don’t know much about. So limiting your product line to only items that you can truly support will keep your customers coming back again and again to your site.
All you have to do as an affiliate is concentrate on the promotion and the selling. Most affiliate programs are free to join and you are paid a percentage of the sale according to how many referrals or sales that you make in their behalf.
One of the biggest advantages of starting an online business with affiliate marketing strategies is that the entry costs are so very low, especially when compared to a brick and mortar business that comes with a high overhead.
Choosing A Product Or Niche
- Interest and Expertise. The amount of knowledge and interest in a particular topic can be an important factor in niche selection for beginners.
- Is The Niche Profitable? Consider the types of products or services that can be promoted as an affiliate within that niche. Research some affiliate programs and see what’s out there.
- What is The Demand? Another important consideration is the current demand in the niche market you are considering. Traffic and sales are required to make money online as an affiliate. So don’t choose an outdated or unpopular niche that will not yield any measurable results.
- Did you find An Affiliate Program In The Niche And How Much Can You Earn. This is a critical consideration because if you cannot properly monetize the site then it’s all for nothing.
- Keyword Research. In affiliate marketing, or building any website or blog, keywords are as important as anything else, and can make or break the success of the site.
Choosing An Affiliate Program To Join
You can also search online for affiliate programs, “keyword + affiliate program” or go directly to a merchant’s website. The affiliate page links are usually listed in the footer of their websites.
When considering commissions, keep in mind that there are many affiliate programs for all types of products, and some pay better than others. Likewise this factor can play a big role in choosing a niche to promote.
Pros of Affiliate Marketing
- Unlimited income potential
- Limitless opportunities
- Very little in start-up costs
- Fairly easy technical set up with absolutely no programming or coding knowledge required because of the many free tools available to easily build affiliate websites, such as, WordPress
- No advanced marketing skills are required, online marketing has a specific set of skills that can be learned by anyone
- Plenty of support from online forums
- Can be started and done around a day job
- Potential freedom from punching a time clock
- No need to create a product or service
- Don’t have any shipping hassles
- You don’t deal with customers, except with email marketing
Cons of Affiliate Marketing
- Lack of control in affiliate programs and changes that can arise
- For some, the commitment level and work required might be a con